The Field Mortar
At last weekend’s Remembrance services, the School recognised, as it always does, the sacrifices made by Old Clayesmorians in all wars. Central to this was the Field Mortar; a gift from the War Office to the School in 1919, in memory of the high proportion of OCs who gave their lives in WWI.
It has recently been refurbished and moved from its earlier location by the gates to its new home, on the steps opposite the Main House. The Portland stone plinth it now sits on is a gift of The Old Clayesmorian Society.
We hope the mortar’s new, prominent position will be a silent but strong reminder of sacrifices made by OCs, whose selflessness enables pupils old and new to enjoy Clayesmore, and a lot more besides, to this day.