A leading provider of all-through education, we can offer places to the whole family because the Prep and Senior School are located alongside each other on one beautiful, countryside campus.
This means brothers and sisters can go to school together in one place and, when the time comes, there is one seamless transition from the Prep into the Senior School at age 13. The Prep School has a small number of overseas pupils, they make a wonderful contribution to school life and enrich the experience for all those around them.
The familiarity, continuity and security this provides for international students is incredibly reassuring and enables them to really feel at home over the years. Clayesmore has a wonderful mix of nationalities at all levels including Austrian, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Russian, Chinese, Hong Kong Chinese and Japanese.
We offer a unique educational and cultural programme for international students. The EAL (English as an Additional Language) Department is here to help all students whose first language is not English. Individual students are encouraged to develop their skills at their own pace to ensure that they feel comfortable and can benefit from all that is on offer at Clayesmore.
Our ethos is:
- to enable overseas students to feel welcomed and supported and to help them settle happily into their new environment
- to raise a student’s competence in the English language in order to minimise any disadvantage of being a non-native speaker within an academic environment
- to encourage overseas students to integrate and to play a full part in the academic, co-curricular and social life of the school to build confidence, broaden their horizons and allow them to get to know students from different cultural and national backgrounds
- to provide students with the opportunity to work towards internationally-recognised qualifications in the Cambridge English Suite of examinations
- to provide support to individual students in core subjects, on an ad hoc basis, when required
- to equip students with functional language and a range of vocabulary to access the full curriculum
- to encourage students to develop their study skills and techniques to enable them to maximize their performance in English
- to equip pupils with the relevant language entry requirements and qualifications stipulated by institutions of higher education, including Cambridge English C1-C2, IELTS and SAT